Friday, October 2, 2009

Always, In Two Parts

No.

I always want a world far beyond, away from me,
I always want what I cannot have, far beyond, across the sea.
I always want that one path crossed, where two should never meet,
I always want to sit again, stirred on lofty peak,
I always want to gaze upon the fullness of that time,
I always want to find the words, to set the perfect rhyme.
I always want to shift the course, cure the illness of this fate,
I always want to sate that thirst, which I never grew to hate.
I always want a sky, tinted gold with rapture I may never see.
I always want a dusting of the past, recalled fondly, purged of reality.
I always want a moment of truth wedged between today and tomorrow,
I always want the joy and peace without tender mourning and infinite sorrow.
I always want to taste the things that are no good for me,
I always want a home far beyond, across the sea.


Yes.

I always want to run with steady breath and open stride,
I always want to pursue the lovely One pursuing His bride.
I always want to venture out, disguising fear with aim,
I always want to be humbled by You, broken once again.
I always want the righteous to sing, to tell of truth been giv’n,
I always want with tears to look, to chase the breadth of heav’n.
I always want to fight with boldness, marked by tranquility,
I always want to win with grace, steeped in humility.
I always want to feed the hungry, serve the ones in need,
I always want to stand on faith, to match it well with deed.
I always want to seek You first, to know You first and best,
I always want to feel your pow’r, even in my death.
I always want to touch your love, to know Your strong reprise,
I always want to trust you fierce, to see truth through Your eyes.

(And all these things you give to me, the surest and the best.
And ask me only in return to abide in You and rest.)

No comments: